In the beginning....

Eight months ago, I got a call. “Remember how we used to talk about all the things we would do if we had a farm”? And if anyone could ever buy one, that we would give each other a call? Five years ago, Tony took me in after ‘the’ break up...just me and my dog. Like my guardian angel. No questions asked, for as long as I needed. This farm was the dream back then.  Now he and his wife had bought one and wanted me to be a part of it.  An acre of fenced yard for the dogs and 16 acres of land to make a huge playground to play in. What are the odds? And how could I say no?

When we spoke, he said he needed someone in two months. I thought about it for a hot second, and then dropped my life like a rock.  I wasn’t truly happy where I was.  And this was the door to the dream.  To live and work on a hobby farm, and to learn how to be a farmer and live off the land.  Sometimes, when you wish hard enough, it can happen, even if it’s not the way you would ever expect. And sometimes god gives you a break and answers your prayers. 

This is the story of my greatest adventure yet: learning to fix up a dilapidated farm on a dime with a team of people...figuring out how to live in harmony with this land, raise chickens for eggs and meat, tend bees and harvest wonderful honey, grow healthy and beautiful food in our garden and to make cheese and soaps from livestock, make wines and spirits from the harvests, and to learn how to be sustainable. I am so excited I can’t even wait to get started.

Come with me on this journey, experience my triumphs and failures, and come and visit to get closer to the earth..the door is always open, and there is always a whole lot of joy and love. Here are some photos of the first six months...spring is just around the corner, and we are just getting started. 💕


















Comments

  1. Great journey so far Julia. So happy you seem to have found your niche in life. Looking forward to your stories and following your new adventures. Wishing you all the best
    Jackie Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure why Charlie's name came up there... anyway, so happy that you have found your dream life. I don't imagine farming is easy but if you love it then the hard parts are worth it. Look forward to reading about the journey and may even visit next time we come over to see Charlie's family and your parents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts